Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Searching for a Hospital

So, since we are having a baby in June, we thought it of utmost priority to find a hospital that was suitable for delivering this little one. They have babies in China, right? So this will probably be no problem. Well, Sam and I set out to visit several hospitals. The first one we visited we met a fiend of a friend who is a doctor there. He showed us around and tried to answer our questions. He showed me the medication room on the maternity floor. They had Normal Saline and D-5 NS. That's it. For those of you who do not work in the medical field, those two "drugs" do nothing more than rehydrate. Our doctor friend then got me permission to enter the delivery room. I was informed that men were not allowed to witness the birth, so Sam could not be with me. After pushing it a little more, they said he could be there only if no other women were there delivering (the likelihood of that happening in a city of 16 million people is I'm sure pretty slim). Anyway, I was also told that it gets busy sometimes and I might have to deliver in the hallway anyway (I guess Sam could be with me there, right?). Okay. Next hospital. The next place we went was the women's specialty hospital. Upon entering I observed a small child being helped to pee in the plants next to the door. We then waded through a sea of people to the restroom. Just outside the bathroom, I observed a grandparent help a small child to poop in a bucket (why not walk 3 feet to the bathroom? I don't know). The bathrooms had only squatter toilets, no soap and no toilet paper. For whatever reason we still went up to the Maternity floor. It was so crowded I could not even get any one's attention to ask any questions. We left. But don't worry, upon leaving I saw another child squat and leave a gift right there on the marble steps leading out. Upon returning to the car, I was informed by our driver that "having a baby is a very simple thing". I said "according to men". And he replied that, no really, it is a very simple thing. I felt like punching him (you shouldn't tell any woman, but certainly not a nurse that!), but I just smiled and got in the car. Anyway, after making a few more visits and phone calls we have decided to deliver in Hong Kong -- I feel much better now!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh Amy you are brave! I think I would have thrown in the towel at the sight of those hospitals!

Kalie said...

I agree! You're very brave!! Good luck! I hope you find somewhere in Hong Kong!!

Celeste said...

Okay, your post about those "hospitals" was probably the most enjoyable, entertaining writing for a most atrocious situation! Thank you for seeing the humor, so you could share it and make me laugh. :?) I'm sure you'll have better luck in Hong Kong.